Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The quest for photographic vision

More often than not, I find myself going through some other photographer's work and saying out loud, " I wish I had his/her eyes!".  Of course, this is not a literal statement, but more of an intellectual desire to transcend with my own imagery.  The photographer's skill to choose the subject, to discern the right timing, to edit the final picture into a work of art... that's the eye I am talking about.  I am constantly challenging my skills, and do not wish to settle with the easy shot.

I am an amateur photographer, that's what I am.  The professionals earn a living from their work, and in my experience, that proved to be more difficult than I ever imagined.  I understand that like with everything else, practice and commitment are fundamentals for growth.  But I feel there's more.  

I have been looking for informative photography reads.  Not the technical stuff, but more on the art of seeing. This is such a subjective subject, and it took me a while to find an author that could teach me something.


Michael Freeman is a world class photographer and writer.  He wrote The Photographer's Vision and this is my current reading.  I am really enjoying it and learning a lot from it.  He writes on topics such as purpose and composition, the right stuff that makes for compelling images.  If you look up his stuff, you'll see he's got many other books, including The Photographer's Eye, which expands on some of the topics I am reading now.

If any of you have any suggestions on books and authors, please feel free to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...